April is always the same, one day it’s summer, the next it’s winter again. It’s like nature has to go back and forth a couple of times before it decides that yes, it is time for spring now. The ground is completely covered with wood anemones and the first leaves have appeared on the trees. In a couple of weeks the cherry trees will be blooming. Spring is definitely one of my favorite seasons, and I especially love this time, when everything is upon us.
To celebrate the arrival of spring, I decided to make a lemon cake with poppy seeds. It’s something about this combination that says spring. During the winter months, when there’s less fresh produce available, I often bake with chocolate. It’s so refreshing to now make something different, something more fruity and not as heavy as chocolatey bakes often tend to be. Adding lemons to cakes adds so much flavor to a cake and when topped with lemon frosting it becomes even more tasty. You’ll find the recipe for this lemon cake below.
Lemon cake with poppy seeds and lemon frosting
1 1/2 dl | 150 ml aquafaba
1 1/2 dl | 135 g caster sugar
3 3/4 dl | 225 g all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp pure vanilla powder (or extract)
1/2 dl | 50 ml rapeseed oil
4 tbsp poppy seeds
Zest from one organic lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice, about 1/2 a lemon
Vegan margarine + flour for the pan
150 g vegan cream cheese
1 dl | 60 g powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp pure vanilla powder (or extract)
- Add aquafaba and caster sugar to a bowl and beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients, except the poppy seeds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the aquafaba mix and stir until smooth.
- Add rapeseed oil and poppy seeds.
- Wash the lemon and finely grate the peel. Add it to the batter.
- Also add lemon juice and stir until smooth.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan, about 10×25 cm. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes, then transfer the cake to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting by combining all ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon or pipe the frosting on the cake. Cut in 1-2 cm thick slices and serve.